Digital privacy or security may be defined as the security of the online users’ details, protecting the information used by the users through social media platforms or digital channels. Many people expose their deepest thoughts and personal or business issues on digital platforms. This is a state where people completely overlook the term privacy. And there is a high risk of privacy violation cases. So, we have to understand the importance of maintaining our privacy on digital platforms. In case of emergency, we have to delete our social media accounts, such as Facebook, Whatsapp, Telegram. So we should know how to delete telegram accounts, WhatsApp, etc. Otherwise, our data or information could be hacked. We need to learn about cybercrime and criminals and their illegal intentions and activities.
What is digital privacy?
The concept of digital privacy may be described as the protection of the data or information online that is being used by the user on different digital media. It is an issue that is related to the security of browsing information. Digital privacy is the point that is connected with internet usage. When users use digital platforms to conduct any professional or personal issue, they can leave a computerized footmark. IP (Internet Protocol) address can be traced and can be monitored the information as well of a particular user. This is a point where digital privacy matters.
Importance of digital privacy
Your individuality and identity are immensely precious. Maintaining digital privacy is more important in this digital world.
You have to remember that nothing is for free. You share your information by browsing any webpage, using free web tools or social networking media like Facebook, Whatsapp, Telegram, Twitter, even Installing an application. These platforms gather information about you. Anyone can have these stored data without your permission.
There are various purposes behind the importance of digital privacy. Your personal details can be shared by using the internet or browning website; the browser remembers your search history. Someone can collect the info about you and can share it with others. Thus you may lose your individuality.
The most significant digital privacy issues
Though identity theft is a crime, it could happen if you underestimate digital privacy. Identity theft is a term that means someone tracks your personally identifiable information (PII) to do any illegal activity.
Tracking users of Search engines
When you visit a site or browse any website on google chrome, Mozilla Firefox, internet explorer, etc. the browser has your browsing history, like
- IP addresses
- Search or browsing history
- Search engines login you to various sites
- Browser cookies.
With these history options, search engine owners can track the users.
Social networking sites have their users’ data, and the information could be exposed for their business profit.
Some social media sites want risky permissions when you allow the permissions; the site can locate you, and store your info from your device. How can you improve your Digital Privacy
- Secure your passwords by using a password manager: password is a code used to enter in any account or profile. When you want to sign up to any site, you need to provide a password. Use a strong and complex password so that cybercriminals can not quickly enter your account or hack your profile. With the use of a password manager, you can secure your passwords.
- Use two-factor authentication: when you use two-factor authentication, your account will be more secure. Two-factor authentication can be a security code or a fingerprint scan etc. When anyone wants to log in to the profile from another device, a notification will be provided if two-factor authentication is activated.
- Block tracking system: you can preclude your browser tracking by blocking the tracking system. You can change your window mode before browsing the website, delete the browsing history, use tools that automatically block tracking ads, and log out your account from websites.
- Activate backup data system: secure your data with a backup plan. Cloud-based accounts have a backup option.
- Switch your browser: there are many alternative search engines that do not store your searching history and expose them publicly.
- Delete unnecessary data: the software or data that are being unused for a long time, you should delete them as well.
- Be careful of communicating online: You should not discuss personal or private issues on any social networking site. Otherwise, it will be a risk of leaking the information by third parties.
You have to protect the information anyhow or any possible way, as it is your details, your patterns. Presently, with the use of various updated technologies, we can secure our information, on the internet. We have to maintain our digital privacy strictly.